Last week Arri announced for their Pre-Nab 2013, product line which replaces their existing Alexa SxS Card slot with Arri XT Module which will capture ARRIRAW in 512GB XR Capture drive which is an SSD technology storage drives. Here are the official announcement and details about the new Camera Technology implementation with an easy upgrade path to his current Alexa Camera models.
With the ALEXA XT cameras (Xtended Technology) ARRI is refreshing the ALEXA product line, incorporating new features inspired by feedback from professional users. These features will expand on the benefits that have already made ALEXA such an extraordinary success – highest overall image quality and lowest overall production cost through reliability, ergonomics and efficient workflows.
The ALEXA XT, ALEXA XT M, ALEXA XT Plus and ALEXA XT Studio cameras will replace all previous models except for the original ALEXA. Owners of existing ALEXA cameras will be able to purchase individual upgrades that deliver most of the features of the XT configuration.
- Refresh of ALEXA camera family
- ALEXA XT, ALEXA XT M, ALEXA XT Plus, ALEXA XT Studio
- XR Module for faster, more affordable ARRIRAW
- In-camera ARRIRAW up to 120 fps
- In-camera ProRes or DNxHD up to 120 fps*
- Fast 512 GB XR Capture Drives
- Proven, efficient Codex on-set or near-set workflows
- Less weight and easier working with internal NDs
- In-camera Filter Module IFM-1
- Internal filtration reduces reflections, weight and hassle
- New high-tech filters based on white-water optical glass
- Neutral color balance at all densities through absorptive IRND coating
- Accurate infrared cut off
- High image sharpness through precision polishing
- High contrast through anti-reflective multi-coating
- Available in 8 densities from ND 0.3 to ND 2.4
- True anamorphic with a 4:3 sensor
- 4:3 sensor on all XT models
- Anamorphic de-squeeze license included
- High speed license included
- Lens metadata for efficient VFX
- LDS PL Mount on all XT models
- Comfortable, flexible new viewfinder mounting
- Viewfinder Mounting Bracket VMB-3
- Strong and rigid construction
- 15 mm lightweight rods hold viewfinder mount
- Rods can take lens motors, matte boxes, follow focus etc.
- Special hard, low friction anodizing on all moving parts
- Built-in bubble level
- New Viewfinder Extension Bracket VEB-3 (separate accessory)
- New, sturdy VEB-3 design
- Viewfinder rests on camera through VEB-3 fold out arm
- Super silent XT Fan
- XT-spec upgrades for existing ALEXAs
- Separately available upgrades include: the XR Module, In-camera Filter Module IFM-1, Viewfinder Mounting Bracket VMB-3, Viewfinder Extension Bracket VEB-3, XT Fan and the anamorphic de-squeeze and high speed licenses.
ALEXA XT New Features
XR Module for faster, more affordable ARRIRAW
All ALEXA XT models come with the new XR Module, a side panel that was co-developed with Codex and that replaces the previous SxS Module, allowing in-camera ARRIRAW recording up to 120 fps onto exceptionally fast and rugged 512 GB XR Capture Drives. This not only makes for a smaller, lighter and more affordable camera package, it also simplifies setup and operation while avoiding unnecessary cabling. The result is an even faster and more reliable workflow on set.
In addition to ARRIRAW, ProRes or DNxHD can also be captured to the XR Capture Drive for significantly longer recording times as well as ProRes 4444 recording at 120 fps. With an SxS Adapter it is possible to record ProRes or DNxHD to a single SxS PRO card.
Once removed from the camera, the XR Capture Drive offers a number of different paths into post, using the proven Codex workflow. First, a small and affordable USB3 Single Dock allows quick and safe copying of data onto a laptop. Second, the Dual Dock can make clones of XR Capture Drives and connect to a Mac Pro via a high speed SAS interface for speedy copying, archiving or dailies creation. And third, the Codex Vault is a modular and rugged all-in-one solution for fast and easy copying, archiving, reporting or dailies creation on or near-set.
Less weight and easier working with internal NDs
The In-camera Filter Module IFM-1 allows ALEXA XT models to be rated at the base sensitivity of EI 800 without the need for external Neutral Density (ND) filters, even in bright sunlight. Filtering behind the lens rather than in front saves time and reduces weight, reflections and operational complexity.
The Precision IRND filters used with the IFM-1 are based on new technologies that assure highest image quality. An absorptive IRND coating attenuates the light while maintaining a perfectly neutral color balance at all densities and providing an accurate infrared cut off. A base of water-white optical glass, precision polished to create perfectly parallel surfaces, guarantees a clear and sharp image. And last but not least, a high image contrast is ensured by an additional broadband anti-reflective multi-coating that reduces internal reflections. Precision IRND filters are available in eight densities from ND 0.3 to ND 2.4.
True anamorphic with a 4:3 sensor
Each of the ALEXA XT models is equipped with a 4:3 image sensor, the same size and shape as a 35 mm film frame. This is crucial for the effective use of anamorphic lenses, which deliver a unique and cinematic widescreen look that can trace its origins back to the CinemaScope films of the 1950s. It is a look that has long been appreciated by cinematographers, directors and the viewing public alike. An anamorphic de-squeeze license is included with all XT cameras, as is a high speed license for filming at up to 120 fps. The 4:3 sensor will also be useful on non-anamorphic productions as it permits significant reframing of the image in post, similar to shooting 4-perforation 35 mm.
Lens metadata for efficient VFX
Lens metadata is invaluable for a speedy VFX post workflow, which is why all ALEXA XT models are equipped with an LDS lens mount. The ARRI Lens Data System (LDS) reads the position of all lens rings and writes them into metadata in every format ALEXA can record. Over 41 lens models have LDS built-in, including the ARR/Zeiss Master Anamorphics, ARRI/Zeiss Master Primes, ARRI/Zeiss Master Macro 100, ARRI/Zeiss LDS Ultra Primes, ARRI/Zeiss Master Zoom 16.5-110, ARRI/Fujinon Alura Lightweight Zoom 15.5-45 and ARRI/Fujinon Alura Lightweight Zoom 30-80. For all other lenses it is possible to store the lens table inside the ALEXA by using the Lens Data Archive feature.
Comfortable, flexible new viewfinder mounting
Never satisfied with good-enough, ARRI engineers have scrutinized the ALEXA viewfinder bracket and come up with a stronger, more rigid design. Two 15 mm lightweight rods are used by the new Viewfinder Mounting Bracket VMB-3, creating extra sturdiness and allowing the use of accessories such as lens motors, follow focus units or matte boxes. Attaching such accessories to the viewfinder bracket removes clutter from the camera’s base plate, facilitating rapid changes in camera support, i.e. from a tripod to a crane or Steadicam. A special anodizing process is used on all moving parts for a very hard yet low-friction surface.
Also available as a separate accessory is the new Viewfinder Extension Bracket VEB-3, with a new and sturdy design and a fold-out arm that holds the viewfinder securely in place when moving the camera.
Note: All technical data based on Software Update Packet (SUP) 8.0, except: * DNxHD recording in general and ProRes 4444 at 120 fps will be available in a later SUP. All data subject to change without notice.
|22 Feb 2013
|ALEXA XT Preliminary – Data Sheet
Download (pdf, 2.97 MB)
For more information, please visit Arri Digital website