Why Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera will replace GoPro in Feature Films
Advantages of GoPro cameras are its size and image reproduction at that price which made film makers across the world to use it in framing shots in feature films which is not possible with any other camera. Still DOPs across the world in-spite of GoPro Hero3 4K image reproduction with better imaging & low light performance are not happy till date, but use it modestly for shots which are impossible with current cameras including Film Cameras and Digital Cinema Cameras like Arri Alexa, Red Epic / Scarlet, Sony F65 / F55 / F5, Phantom Flex / HD, SI2K and so on. Above all GoPro Hero3 produces brilliant image but not ready for big screen projection is my point of view.
GoPro Hero3 Specs:
- Ultra sharp ƒ/2.8 6-element aspherical glass lens
- Ultra wide angle / reduced distortion
- 2X Better low-light performance
|Video Resolution||NTSC fps||PAL fps||STD Mode||Protune Mode||Field of View (FOV)||Screen Resolution/ Aspect Ratio|
|1080p||60, 48, 30, 24 fps||50, 48, 25, 24 fps||YES||YES||Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow||1920×1080 16:9|
|720p||120, 60 fps||100, 50 fps||YES||YES||Ultra Wide, Narrow*||1280×720 16:9|
|1440p||48, 30, 24 fps||48, 25, 24 fps||YES||YES||Ultra Wide||1920×1440 4:3|
|4K||15 fps||12.5 fps||NO||ONLY in Protune||Ultra Wide||3840×2160 16:9|
|4K Cin||12 fps||12 fps||NO||ONLY in Protune||Ultra Wide||4096×2160 17:9|
|2.7K||30 fps||25 fps||YES*||YES||Ultra Wide||2704×1524 16:9|
|2.7K Cin||24 fps||24 fps||YES*||YES||Ultra Wide||2704×1440 17:9|
|960p||100, 48 fps||100, 48 fps||YES||YES||Ultra Wide||1280×960 4:3|
|WVGA||240 fps||240 fps||YES||NO||Ultra Wide||848×480 16:9|
Note *May require a software update on camera
- Video format: H.264 codec, .mp4 file format
- White Balance: auto and manual
- 12, 7, 5MP resolutions
- Burst: 30 photos per second
- Continuous Photo: 3 photos per second, 5 photos per second, 10 photos per second
- Time-lapse: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals
- Simultaneous Photo + Video:
- 12MP + 1440p24 fps
- 8MP + 1080p30 fps 8
- 8MP + 720p60 fps
Battery & Charging
- 1050mAh rechargeable lithium-ion
- Charge via USB
Black Edition with LCD Touch BacPac™
Black Edition using with Wi-Fi Remote
Black Edition using GoPro App
|RES/FPS||Estimated Time||Estimated Time||Estimated Time||Estimated Time|
- Extreme cold temperatures may decrease battery life. For use in these conditions it is suggested to keep camera in a warm place prior to use.
- To maximize HERO3 battery life when shooting longer duration activities, it’s is best to use camera with LCD Touch BacPac turned off or unattached altogether. Turning off Wi-Fi will also help conserve power.
- Using protune mode will increase power consumption. May vary per mode and camera edition.
- Mono, 48kHz, AAC compression w/ AGC
- Supports optional 3.5mm stereo mic adapter **
- MicroSD class 10 or higher required
- Up to 64GB capacity supported
- Record times will vary with resolutions and frame rates
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera:
A true Super 16 digital film camera that’s small enough to take anywhere!
- 13 Stops of Dynamic Range in true digital film like images
- Super 16 Sensor Size
- Lossless CinemaDNG RAW & Apple ProRes
- Micro Four Thirds Lens Mount
- 1080p HD Resolution to SD Cards
- 3.5″ LCD at Back
- Professional Connections include micro HDMI out, mini jack microphone input like AV Style microphones, mini jack headphone for audio monitoring, LANC control input for remote operation and removable rechargeable battery with 12V DC input.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Accessories are already ready for shipping from Wooden Camera – http://woodencamera.corecommerce.com/Blackmagic/New-Releases-BMC/Quick-Kit-Pocket.html
Hence with size and affordability, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera will replace GoPro in feature film production in near future. Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is expected to ship in couple of days for a price of $995.